Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Four Boys: Day 1

It's my turn to watch four boys this week. They are good friends and rarely argue so I'm not too nervous about it but the damn rain won't quit. 19 days of  continual rain is too much, even for someone from the north-west of England!

Columbus is a fabulous place for kids, with loads of free things for them to do. Outdoors. There are plenty of indoor, free places to take toddlers, like playgrounds in shopping malls,  but no options really for 4 boys between 6 and 10 years old unless I want to spend $50 each time. I am not one of those "crafty" parents who comes up with ideas to keep kids busy all day making collages, wool pompoms or cupcakes. I just don't have the energy (or the desire if I'm honest). I could just let them play video games all day I suppose but I'm not a total parent failure. So, I took them to work with me and let them play putt-putt outside my office then I showed them some football landmarks on campus. They loved it.

OH-IO with the 2002 National Championship trophy. The 2014 trophy is still on tour

Practice fields - they ran for a touchdown

The Shoe!

Heisman Trophy poses...

I snuck them up to the press box

Woody Hayes' boys
After the Buckeye tour I took them home for fish, chips and peas (they ate it!) then I let them play video games for an hour while it poured with rain. I saw a break in the weather from 3-5 so bundled them in the car and we went to Scioto Audubon Metro Park, which might just be my favorite park in Columbus.



The Audubon center is closed on Mondays (of course), but it actually worked in our favor because the assault course at the park is for kids older than 12 and there should be an instructor present to use it. But no one was there, so you know, I just let them do it (one of those "screw it" moments). We were the only people at the whole park and we had a blast.


Daniel, oh Daniel....

Found a turtle

Looking for birds & frogs in the wetlands


At 5pm the rain came again so we called it a day. They called themselves rebels, since they snuck into the press box and snuck into the assault course, and that's fine with me. Everybody needs to be a renegade sometimes.

Day 1 in the bag and a success!

No comments: